a The Transit Lounge: Just Another Night

Back in the Day: I had a quarter life crisis, headed to Osaka, Japan for the unknown–only to discover that a passport plane ride are not necessarily a ticket to escape. Some Years Later: Settled back in Oz, the man of my dreams ended up in Tokyo for work–which is how a passport and plane ride showed me home is where the heart is. And Now: Well as luck would have it, we are about to embark on Japan Mark 3, with a baby in tow and another on the way...

Friday, March 31

Just Another Night

Here in Osaka it doesn't matter what night of the week it is. You can be guaranteed to find one, some or, as it usually pans out by midnight or 1am, all of the Usual Suspects getting their freak on - or just knocking back a few friendly tequilas - in some part of the Minami maze.
The Wednesday just gone was no exception. I started off with dinner with DIO 17, which in itself was quite the feast from which I didn't think I would make it out alive. He took me to quite the fancy-schmancy Italian restaurant, we ate about 100 courses of great food, and lo and behold I managed to keep my beverage consumption to a respectable 2 GnTs. Had a few drinks at Zerro including a mandatory tequila shot for one of the barboy's birthdays (all the bartenders there are quite the eye candy) before he pashed me up all saucy like under the lights of Inferno (of all places, Carlos RIP I miss those random nights starting with a 3am phonecall and the booming McBain style "Leeez, Leeez what you doing? You come Inferno now. Where's Clifffff-orrrd?") which then saw us part ways and me hightail it down the Shotengai to catch up with half of the gang for Rob and Cal's sayonara feed at the 280 izakaya.
After knocking back the standard "peachi" chu-his there, and collecting Ivan "Stevie B" MexIvan, we decided it was best to bust a move to karaoke, with a pit stop at the new slice of heaven in Osaka, Slices (how aptly named) to pick up a somewhat innebriated Clifford and Erik. Of course it wasn't just a 5-minute run in but more like a 1 hour refuel on whatever alcohol we could get our hands on. Which turned out to be beer.
During this time we made a few important observations:
  • Slices is in fact a pizza shop and not a bar. Hence they serve beer...
  • Clifford and I both - unknowingly and at different times - proceeded to ask the owners if they could add vodka or gin to any of the "bubble" teas they had on offer, and when told no as the only served beer, then asking them if they could possibly stock these varieties of booze in the future.
  • Clifford and I both - again unknowingly and numerous times - attempted to order rounds of tequila shots. Only to be told again they did not stock this with us seperately asking in return if they could do so for the future (word got back to us today that they have indeed complied with our requests).
  • Cliff and Erik are Mortal Kombat otakus (geeks)...the ensuing argument that followed their simple discussion spawned such pearlers like "I used to give challengers 1st round," "I was that Asian kid that everyone lined up to challenge," & the winning quote of the night, "I made my grandmother watch me perform all of the fatalities"
  • Erik and Triplebypass having a heated conversation over who does the best burgers in town. I think Ttriplebypass won that hands down when he shot down Erik's "Look at me, how small I am, I should know" with a simple pat of the stomach and a "Look at me." (Think David and Goliath in terms of sizing here)
  • Ivan does indeed look like Stevie B - see photo at right - and said he will not recreate that pose if no money is changing hands.
  • Cliffy thought I looked like Kylie - the boots tucked into the jeans? the blonde hair? the weight i have lost? the copious amounts of beer he had drunk? - I was drunk enough to believe him and it made me stay. Then upon questioning Erik as to whether or not he saw me wave at him when I walked past him at Zerro earlier on in the evening with DIO 17, he didn't miss a beat with "Oh was that you? I thought it was Kylie!"

After which point we finally made it to karaoke - Naosky, Batman, RobRoy, Candid Cal and myself - with RobRoy rarking it up and performing Rock The Casbah like you have never seen within 30 seconds of us all entering the booth. The karaoke debauchery continued and Batman and I managed to escape reasonably intact albeit to be stopped 2 blocks down the road by a drunken Cliffy . We managed to push through him until a further 5 metres down the road the MexIvan rounds the corner and rounds us up pushing us back in the booth (as Batman later put it "My reputation was at stake. It was either go home and look like a pussy or stay out."). At this stage I get a phone call from Cliffy which I swear is in stereo - and that's because I turn my head and he is standing right behind me. It was all worth it in the end when Cliffy and TBP mic'd it out to Rapper's Delight (Cliffy is great at free-styling) and with a swift crawl under the table, Batman and I maneouvered our way outta there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home