a The Transit Lounge: Reruns

Back in the Day: I had a quarter life crisis, headed to Osaka, Japan for the unknown–only to discover that a passport plane ride are not necessarily a ticket to escape. Some Years Later: Settled back in Oz, the man of my dreams ended up in Tokyo for work–which is how a passport and plane ride showed me home is where the heart is. And Now: Well as luck would have it, we are about to embark on Japan Mark 3, with a baby in tow and another on the way...

Monday, June 19

Reruns

I am back in Japan but find myself increasingly not wanting to be here. Usually I am really happy to be back and get right into things, now I find it is the last place I want to be. At least for the present. I miss Cairns. My last week in Melbourne was quiet, spending all my time in bed with my leg up. I think i watched about a trillion DVDs, or should I say I slept through about a trillion DVDs.

Spent a great day at the castle yesterday watching a soccer round robin. The sun was out, the music was pumping and there were so many, many shirtless men running around - a whole bunch of gaijin I've never seen before so it was quite the eye candy fest. I think all of the teams bar 1 were made up of people working at or patrons of bars and restaurants around the city. Yes all bar 1 - that bar 1 were a bunch of Brazilians who just got it together at the last minute. And of course won. Must be in their blood - soccer ability as well as rhythm.

So continuing on the soccer note, I watched Japan tie Croatia and most of Brazil lining up against Oz last night at home with Batman and Naosky. I love the fact that ordinarily I don't watch soccer, in fact I think I dislike it more than rugby. Actually no that's not true - rugby well and truly sucks. Anyway, so I NEVER watch it. The only other time in history I can think I ever willingly watched a game was Germany v Brazil for the final of the last world Cup. But that doesn't stop me from becoming an armchair expert and expelling my opinions faster than Batman unloading a round into the balcony next door. Even so, my running commentary tended to focus on the important features of the game, the good, the bad and the ugly - relating to physical features, hairstyles, and dress. So what if it was a uniform? That goalie in grey for Croatia looked, well, drab in contrast to everyone else on the field. And yeah, the Brazillian coach was giving off that used car salesman vibe with his powder blue tie! Japan definitely has the best hair of the tournament - you can't go past Nakata and Takahara. And I gotta say I was surprised by Ronaldinho's out and out handomsely-challenged physical appearance (along with the match, the japanese were running an advertisement for what, we still haven't figured it out, featuring this guy's mug, during every break - is it physically impossible for him to shut his mouth??). I was under some impression that to make it as a sports start of the 21st century, you had to have some degree of talent and 100% absolute hotness and marketability. Guess I was wrong.

And I think I love that Aussie dude Cahill. He's in my age group.

3 Comments:

Anonymous mrm said...

Gitte and I watched the Japan-Australia match and we agree that Japan won on the hair. Shame that the Aussies lost to the Italians on a controversial umpiring decision. There was lots of support for the 'outsiders' and everyone said they could be proud of their achievement. It was particularly pleasing that Mark Schwarzer chose to speak German in his after match interview. This also won the Aussies brownie points. Oh well, now I can barrack for Deutschland. They're in the semi-final now.

4:40 am

 
Blogger Miss Riz said...

think u got the daughters confused. i watched it with you. I picked the Germans from the start, when it comes to soccer, not that I know anything, but I know to choose my German heritage over the Socceroos.

2:59 pm

 
Anonymous mrm said...

Wow. I am impressed by the German heritage thing. Indeed, I got the daughters confused but not the teams I barrack for. If Australia and Germany had met for the final, I would have been happy for either to win, so no disappointment!

5:19 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home