a The Transit Lounge: Why Do People...?

Back in the Day: I had a quarter life crisis, headed to Osaka, Japan for the unknown–only to discover that a passport plane ride are not necessarily a ticket to escape. Some Years Later: Settled back in Oz, the man of my dreams ended up in Tokyo for work–which is how a passport and plane ride showed me home is where the heart is. And Now: Well as luck would have it, we are about to embark on Japan Mark 3, with a baby in tow and another on the way...

Thursday, October 5

Why Do People...?

In recent times, I have had a few "Why do people do that?" experiences, the most recent being yesterday.
As the Philippines Airline Airbus 330 that was carrying me and a bunch of other people to Cebu Island touched down on the tarmac yesterday, this bunch of other people clapped and hollered in joy. For a full 5 minutes, until we had taxied into the berth and come to a complete stop.
The question "Why do people do that?" ran through my freshly unrelaxed mind and forced me to come up with a number of equally disturbing answers that simply posed more questions of the rhetorical kind such as:
1. Does this particular plane have some sort of mechanical problem or any kind of problem that would interfere with its ability to fly and stay in the sky that I should have been made aware of before choosing to board 60 minutes earlier?
2. Does the pilot have some sort of condition such as narcolepsy, epilepsy, alcoholism, substance abuse or the like, or had he and the Co-pilot pulled an all nighter with a Filipina new-half in some Metro Manila bars that I should have been made aware of before choosing to board the plane 60 minutes earlier, causing those in the know in the seats surrounding me to believe a miracle has actually been performed seeing that we made the distance without any hitches?
3. Are the people around me just dickheads?
I am assuming for the sake of my sanity during the upcoming flight back to Manila in the next hour, that it is number 3.
If you have any questions starting off with "Why do people......?" email me at thetransitlounge@gmail.com or simply post a comment below and using my fierce wit and sarcasm will do my best to supply you with a satisfactory answer.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous mrm said...

In the olden days of air travel (eg. 1970s), before people had become blase about the experience, it was quite normal to applaud at the end of the trip - a mixture of relief at safe arrival, thankfulness that the long journey was over and an acknowledgment of the pilots' skill and appreciation of the crew's effort. Could be that flying was not a regular thing for this bunch of people. Or maybe they were just in an upbeat mood?

8:25 pm

 
Blogger Miss Riz said...

Well thank god I am not that old to not be blase about flying. I must ask Dee about how he feels baout this when his passengers do this on the plane.

10:09 am

 
Blogger Divine Miss M said...

I have a "why do people" for you... Why do, especially tourist, especially in Cairns, wander across the road aimlessly regardless of the colour of the traffic light, or the speed of the traffic or if a bloody mack truck is going to run them down and expect for the car to just stop! And when they are let loose on scooters they are really taking their lives into their own hands...lwss

7:11 am

 
Blogger Divine Miss M said...

I have a "why do people" for you... Why do, especially tourist, especially in Cairns, wander across the road aimlessly regardless of the colour of the traffic light, or the speed of the traffic or if a bloody mack truck is going to run them down and expect for the car to just stop! And when they are let loose on scooters they are really taking their lives into their own hands...

7:11 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home