a The Transit Lounge: Love-Hate Relationships

Back in the Day: I had a quarter life crisis, headed to Osaka, Japan for the unknown–only to discover that a passport plane ride are not necessarily a ticket to escape. Some Years Later: Settled back in Oz, the man of my dreams ended up in Tokyo for work–which is how a passport and plane ride showed me home is where the heart is. And Now: Well as luck would have it, we are about to embark on Japan Mark 3, with a baby in tow and another on the way...

Saturday, November 25

Love-Hate Relationships

Why I am happy to be leaving the Land of the Rising Contradiction:
  1. The inability of Japanese people to walk/ride/drive/transport themselves in a straight line;
  2. The damn yapping dog that resides in the building opposite me.
  3. The ongoing construction - been living in Da'Cho over 2 years now and just about every single building surrounding our apartment has been torn down and rebuilt. It is relentless.
  4. The ramen dude who seems to have an uncanny knack of sparking up his song (if you can call the low wailing heputs out over a loudspeaker in an effort to sell his ramen) every time I am nearly asleep - whether it is 11pm, 3am or 11am. Especially frustrating since the law says you can't make noise in your apartment after 10, something they will go atomic at you for.
  5. Our landlord who blames us for every single complaint in the apartment, even when the apartment is empty, with all 3 of us out of the country. So there was one time, ONE TIME, when Brett fired his B-B gun. But the doof doof, the fireworks, the dog pissing in the elevator (we don't even have a dog)...and when the Japanese next door neighbour stole my bike, got caught out lying because the whole thing was caught on te security cameras, they did sweet f.a. Would have been a different story had it of occurred the other way around.
  6. Japanese TV.
  7. Obahans (old ladies) who push, shove and elbow anything and anybody that stands between them and a seat on the train. Don't let their tiny size or walking sticks fool you. These women are anything but frail and put up a fight.
  8. The Japanese tendency to lack any 'spacial' as well as spatial awareness.
  9. Flipping useless washing powders, so-called bleaches and detergents that just do not clean your clothes. At all.
  10. Spitting in public anywhere amd everywhere. Gross.
Why I am misty-eyed at the thought of leaving:
  1. Buying al-kee-holl from beer to vodka to cassis at the conbini (convenience store) - and for a cheap price!
  2. Genki drinks, especially the one I still don't know the name of after 3 years with the blue and white label that costs 153 yen. All I know it has 1000 more mg more of something I can't read than any of the other genki drinks on the market!
  3. Hot drinks from the vending machines in Winter.
  4. The guarantee that no matter how remote you think you are, whether you are climbing Fuji, doing the temple thing, or relaxing in an onsen, you will always find not one but numerous vending machines.
  5. Riding my bike - and riding my bike in 7 inch stilletos.
  6. The randomness that is integral to the fun I find myself having. Those of you I hang out with here will understand what I mean. Has been a topic of conversation of late.
  7. The close proximity my entire life here has. I am bike ride away from any place I need to be, and if I am too drunk to take my bike, a cab won't cost more than 660 yen, with my bike neatly folded in the boot.
  8. Cable TV's So You Think You Can Dance - American Idol meets Fame.
  9. Tequila Times. For those at home, you are forewarned. I am gonna teach you the joys of including Vitamin T, a.k.a. The Lord's Juice on any night out. Or in.
  10. Seeing erratic shit like racoons on leashes and the boys with what I call 'The Classic Carol Brady' hairstyles that any in other country would get them beaten to a pulp.
Everyday I see stuff that either makes me think 'Oh man I am glad to be leaving that behind' or 'aww, I will actually miss that' so I am sure these lists will grow somewhat.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous cambosis said...

Dont sweat "so you think you can dance" - its on now in Oz - so redo your list!

xox

3:04 pm

 
Blogger Miss Riz said...

yeah but do i have the option of watching it again thursday morning, thursday afternoon and all of the episodes so far on a sunday arvo if I miss the initial Wednesday night viewing??

1:34 am

 
Anonymous Ben said...

Give it a month, im sure it will be on Foxtel by then

6:59 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home