a The Transit Lounge: Weekend Wind Up

Back in the Day: I had a quarter life crisis, headed to Osaka, Japan for the unknown–only to discover that a passport plane ride are not necessarily a ticket to escape. Some Years Later: Settled back in Oz, the man of my dreams ended up in Tokyo for work–which is how a passport and plane ride showed me home is where the heart is. And Now: Well as luck would have it, we are about to embark on Japan Mark 3, with a baby in tow and another on the way...

Sunday, November 12

Weekend Wind Up

I interviewed Timo Maas at Saza*e on Friday night. He hails from Hanover, Germany and although he has played clubs such as Ageha and Womb in Tokyo, this was his first time to Osaka. Let me just say it was a real pleasure - Timo was happy to answer my questions, have a joke and a laugh, and he was a great talker, giving me interesting responses. I was happy to listen to him. Unlike other DJs of such a hig calibre that I have spoken with, Timo made me feel at ease and I wasn't made to feel like the lowly, annoying journo. His manager Dave was also really laidback. In my experience managers can sometimes be more arrogant than the actual talent, making me feel very ill at ease.
Timo played a great set, lasting about 3 hours. From talking to him and watching him spin and making record selections, I got the impression he really is thinking about the moment he is in with his crowd and working 110% to give the crowd a combination of what they want with some unexpected surprises. Like Terumi was saying to me, he really mixes his beats up which keeps it exciting on the dancefloor. And while he is in that moment, at the same time he is thinking ahead about his next few moves.
I had a great night, getting in around 4am which was difficult since I had to work 6 hours later. Dimitori, Yashima and Ange also played - I always love their stuff. And Ko Matsuhima, who played at the Top Fuel parties with Ko Kimura at Underlounge, was part of the line-up. I used to love his stuff at Top Fuel and Terumi introduced me to him so I was rapt. Amazingly friendly.
Cliff and I stumbled home together in time to meet Troy and Brett dragging their sorry, drunken asses from Tin's.
Saturday night was Wes and Monkey's birthdays at Zerro. The plan was to go but since we all had such a late one on Friday night there was no way we were gunna make it out. I had already planned to start the night of drinking margaritas as a way of using up all the tequila I got for my birthday, so we had a small crew around. Danyk and Troy perfected the margaritas and the rest of us drank, chatted, danced in the living and played scrabble til the sun came up. I had a wonderful night, hanging with a bunch of my best mates and this is the stuff I am really treasuring because I won't be here in a few short weeks.
The coming week is a busy one. I have the Timo interview to write-up and KS editors said yes to a couple of story ideas I had, which always makes me feel really good. To begin with I used to be really scared about sharing my ideas with them but now I know my ideas aren't going to be laughed at or shot down, in fact they have never said no. But you know what really got me excited? I feel like such an idiot saying this, KS emailed me about another story that needs to be written about an upcoming event. KS said that the organisers of the event " have requested us to assign you to put the story together". I was stoked, so stoked. I can't describe how that makes me feel. It was an uber moment.
I dyed my hair nearly black on Friday. I think it must have done something. I had a lot of lovely comments from complete strangers - and from those I love too - at Saza*e, which was a lovely and unexpected surprise.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Tam said...

Black hair, wow! A complete new look. Send me a pic.

8:03 am

 
Anonymous Ben said...

Don't feel like an idiot for sharing your achivements, be proud of them, i know i am. Thats great news.

See you soon.

11:02 am

 
Anonymous mrm said...

Did he have a Hanoverian nose?

3:42 pm

 
Anonymous cambosis said...

good idea to get rid of the tequila the way you did... you dont need that stuff lying around the house!!

2:11 pm

 
Anonymous cambosis said...

why is everything i comment on always about booze

2:11 pm

 
Blogger Miss Riz said...

hmmm - mrm i dont know, im not sure of the shape myself.

Cambosis, dont worry. most of my posts are booze related somehow...

9:48 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home