a The Transit Lounge: O VEE AY AYCH - OVAH!

Back in the Day: I had a quarter life crisis, headed to Osaka, Japan for the unknown–only to discover that a passport plane ride are not necessarily a ticket to escape. Some Years Later: Settled back in Oz, the man of my dreams ended up in Tokyo for work–which is how a passport and plane ride showed me home is where the heart is. And Now: Well as luck would have it, we are about to embark on Japan Mark 3, with a baby in tow and another on the way...

Wednesday, January 31

O VEE AY AYCH - OVAH!

About 3 days ago, my boxes arrived from Osaka - all the stuff I had sent by sea.
So yesterday I set about unpacking them and this is what I discovered:
(a) Just how much stuff I had thrown out pre-Melbourne. I was expecting there to be a lot more in terms of clothes and footwear. I really must have gotten ruthless in Japan. Good for the wallet but kinda sorrowful now;
(b) How quickly the boxes actually arrived - in about 6 weeks instead of 3 months so I am pretty happy to get my hands on my CDs and moozak;
(c) That the finality of my move has hit me. It is completely done with over and out. This kept running through my mind as I was looking through a photo album Cliff and Asami gave me for my birthday - containing photos of all my friends from the birthday party. There are some people - some who were my closest friends - that I will never, ever see face to face again. Some people I will lose contact with. Some people I will always wonder about, some people I will forget. Never again will we all be in the same room again. Already things are different in Osaka - Cliffy is moving on next week, T-Money will be soon, Mieko is in Tokyo, Batman is gone by the end of the year, Naosky is moving to Melbourne next week (yay!).... Those times are well and truly behind me in a real, physical sense. Even if I go to visit it will be very different - new faces, people who don't mean anything to me trying to tell me what it's like, what it's about, in a city I used to know like the back of my hand, that in some respects will have also changed on the face of it. I hate conversations and friendships that are all about 'Hey remember this time...." - if you are really friends, there should be more to it than that. Maybe that's simply what is was all about in Osaka - everyone served their time and had their place in my life. Not to take anything away from the friendships I had with people, or the life I lived with them. But yeah, that was then and this is now, and perhaps now there is no place for any of it in my life as it is and will be from now. Pre-arm smashing on Friday, Andy and I had a good talk about this. I was feelong bad for even thinking this but he helped me put it in perspective. It's over.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home