a The Transit Lounge: Dante's Peak

Back in the Day: I had a quarter life crisis, headed to Osaka, Japan for the unknown–only to discover that a passport plane ride are not necessarily a ticket to escape. Some Years Later: Settled back in Oz, the man of my dreams ended up in Tokyo for work–which is how a passport and plane ride showed me home is where the heart is. And Now: Well as luck would have it, we are about to embark on Japan Mark 3, with a baby in tow and another on the way...

Monday, September 28

Dante's Peak

The face of keitai (mobile/cellphone) giant Softbank is a gorgeous white dog and....Dante. I knew Dante back in the day, when I lived in Osaka. He was the boyfriend of a friend of mine who was starting her own pizza restaurant with her brother in Ame-mura and Dante was helping out in the kitchen and with service.



He landed this Softbank gig just before I left Osaka, so towards the end of 2006. A couple of months ago I was in Osaka eating pizza and heard his popularity in the Land of the Rising Sun had reached crazy proportions of the Japanese variety. He gets some serious recognition on the street and is bandited by the young, the old - both men and women - for photos and just to be screamed at. Apparently the screams of recognition are insane.

So good on him. I just dig the slippers in the bottom photo....only in Japan.

PS For the best pizza in Osaka...nay JAPAN, head to SLICES in Ame-mura, Osaka. Goes down so well with the bubble tapioka tea.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

<< Home