a The Transit Lounge: Looking at the Positives

Back in the Day: I had a quarter life crisis, headed to Osaka, Japan for the unknown–only to discover that a passport plane ride are not necessarily a ticket to escape. Some Years Later: Settled back in Oz, the man of my dreams ended up in Tokyo for work–which is how a passport and plane ride showed me home is where the heart is. And Now: Well as luck would have it, we are about to embark on Japan Mark 3, with a baby in tow and another on the way...

Monday, September 28

Looking at the Positives

I have spent the past hour or so rereading old correspondence between my fiance and I. I found an email written just over 12 months ago in response to Ben feeling a bit low and isolated in Nippon - something all newbies go through over here. So to give him a smile, I had decided to point out the positives of his situation. (I was back in Australia at this time, hence the "there" reference to Japan.)

(a) You're not teaching English. There isn't any secret Dead Poets Society or charismatic Robin Williams like character running about screaming "My Captain, my captain" or "carpe diem!" I dont think seize the day even means anything in Japanese schools. In fact Dead Poets Society was probably banned there...
(b) You're not a Japanese salaryman - that is just depressing in itself.
(c) You're a gaijin in Japan. Sure everyone stares at you, no one wants to sit next to you and people go out of their way NOT to help you, but you still see the funny side of it. They don't.
(d) You can see the humour in a bow-off.
(e) You could get away with doing a dive bomb into one of the onsen pools because people would be too scared to tell you to get out.
(f) You get to come home soon. So many gaijin get stuck in Japan and complain that they've never left. They get really bitter and twisted, start Japan bagging but still never leave. They talk about how much they hate it there and what's wrong with it all and blah blah blah...but still never leave...you have light at the end of the tunnel to focus on before bitter and twisted even gets on the radar.
(g) You have me on the other side of the world (well at least in another hemisphere) thinking about you, thinking about when I next get to see you, thinking about how good I feel when I think about you. Baby you rock my world for all the right reasons.
(h) Jetstar has now put on flights to Tokyo, beginning in December. So it is good to know that for the future, there are some cheaper options between Nippon and Oshtraya!

And as I said to him at the end of said email: "Sometimes you have to look at the ups, no matter how small!"

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

hhehehe I love him already!

10:00 pm

 
Blogger clubcliff said...

you forgot to mention that in japan you can pee in public, huge plus!

1:51 am

 
Blogger Miss Riz said...

Along with spitting and flashing women - two more things that are quite ok to do!

7:22 am

 
Anonymous Jonno said...

Hahahahahahahaha.

4:06 pm

 

<< Home