a The Transit Lounge: 5 Signs of Osaka

Back in the Day: I had a quarter life crisis, headed to Osaka, Japan for the unknown–only to discover that a passport plane ride are not necessarily a ticket to escape. Some Years Later: Settled back in Oz, the man of my dreams ended up in Tokyo for work–which is how a passport and plane ride showed me home is where the heart is. And Now: Well as luck would have it, we are about to embark on Japan Mark 3, with a baby in tow and another on the way...

Wednesday, October 21

5 Signs of Osaka

This is a shout out to Ian...


I recently wrote a post on the Top 15 ways to tell you are back in Osaka, so I guess you can look at this post as a photo-blog follow up. For me seeing these Osakan icons always makes me smile. Feels like home!



SU-PA TAMADE! SU-PA TAMADE! SU-PA TAMADE
Super Tamade, I salute you. Ahhh the thought of filling up your trolley for less than ¥5000 and shopping with the homeless. Just don't buy chicken from here. Guaranteed to be full of salmonella and have you vomiting for days.





The Running Man on Dotonbori needs no introduction.
Keeping an eye on the streets of Osaka's very own bladerunner set.



Don Quixote Ferris Wheel
Ahhh - the world's first oval ferris wheel, standing proudly atop of superstore Don Quixote. The ride is an interesting one. You can only face one way and just as you are about to see over the tops of the buildings you realise you are on your way down...



Cho Times in Da'Cho.
803/805 was once the centre of my world.



280. Plus tax.
Torikizoku, the izakaya where EVERYTHING is 280...plus tax. It was the only place that seemed to get cheaper the more you ate and drank. Many a birthday has been celebrated here, many a night has started here.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Danyk said...

803,805 still the hub for the strange and otherworldly. It's still the center of my world but that's just cuz I never left, I guess.

6:11 pm

 
Blogger Miss Riz said...

Good point....I should have said it was once the centre of my world - and it still is whenever I cross back over into Kansai!!

6:48 pm

 
Anonymous gregarious said...

And luckily I'm sitting right on top of it!

8:31 pm

 
Blogger kimba said...

suuuuupeerrrr taaamaaadeee

11:13 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home