a The Transit Lounge: Tokyo 5-0

Back in the Day: I had a quarter life crisis, headed to Osaka, Japan for the unknown–only to discover that a passport plane ride are not necessarily a ticket to escape. Some Years Later: Settled back in Oz, the man of my dreams ended up in Tokyo for work–which is how a passport and plane ride showed me home is where the heart is. And Now: Well as luck would have it, we are about to embark on Japan Mark 3, with a baby in tow and another on the way...

Wednesday, December 9

Tokyo 5-0

I am currently sitting pretty in Honolulu, Hawaii. Well overlooking Waikiki Beach at this very moment to be precise. It was time for some RnR (and a tan up session) before getting serious about the Tokyo winter.

So, being my first time in Hawaii - and actually on any form of U.S. territory - I was surprised to quickly discover that Waikiki could aptly be nicknamed little Tokyo. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it makes me feel quite at home seeing Japanese signage, magazines and restaurants. Oh and of course Japanese tourists and their cameras. That means I can still bring you plenty of Japanese shenanigans with a tropical twist.

So here in Waikiki, the Japanese tour groups do it slightly differently...


I nearly got knocked over in utter amazement. And I almost signed up for a tour, even though it is entirely in Japanese, the chance to buzz about town on an motorized roller is too good an opportunity to pass up!!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home