a The Transit Lounge: A Taste of Japan

Back in the Day: I had a quarter life crisis, headed to Osaka, Japan for the unknown–only to discover that a passport plane ride are not necessarily a ticket to escape. Some Years Later: Settled back in Oz, the man of my dreams ended up in Tokyo for work–which is how a passport and plane ride showed me home is where the heart is. And Now: Well as luck would have it, we are about to embark on Japan Mark 3, with a baby in tow and another on the way...

Thursday, March 11

A Taste of Japan

Tetsuya's salmon

It seems like my fiance and I crave a good Japanese meal the second we leave the country. We love Japanese food and find that on our travels, we eat away through the local produce as well as the local Japanese restaurants. Which is how we found ourselves at Tetsuya's Restaurant in Kent Street, Sydney, earlier this week.

Tetsuya's is a whole experience - and one of the few times I have let my vegan eating slide over the last few months. We feasted on the 12 course degustation menu, accompanied by selected sake and wines. The menu included oysters in ginger and lime, cold pumpkin soup with miso cream, Kingfish sashimi, wagyu beef with lime and wasabi as well as a range of desserts.

The wines were from different wineries across the country including Rutherglen, Eden Valley, Claire Valley and Margaret River and complemented the food superbly. In fact, one or two drops on their own were not exactly to my taste until I tasted it them again with the food. A sign of a fantastic sommelier!

Although the dishes were not strictly Japanese food, the cooking methods and accompanying ingredients were. The only disappointing aspect of the night was that the restaurant itself was not in Japanese style - but that is just my thing and I am yet to find a restaurant outside of Japan that has decided to tackle this aspect of Japanese dining.

I am still salivating just thinking about it...いただきます!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Sally said...

Lucky lucky lucky girl!!

4:42 pm

 
Anonymous Hazza said...

I think this is one place I will definitely save up for, sounds like it is worth it.

4:43 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home