a The Transit Lounge: Rugby Rag

Back in the Day: I had a quarter life crisis, headed to Osaka, Japan for the unknown–only to discover that a passport plane ride are not necessarily a ticket to escape. Some Years Later: Settled back in Oz, the man of my dreams ended up in Tokyo for work–which is how a passport and plane ride showed me home is where the heart is. And Now: Well as luck would have it, we are about to embark on Japan Mark 3, with a baby in tow and another on the way...

Monday, September 6

Rugby Rag

I know every man, lady and their Tweets are commenting on this at the moment...but so am I.


Not only did Stephanie Rice's comments shock me, I can't believe that as a professional athlete she would say something like this. Would she say that to a person she beat in the pool?

You speak to any professional footballer, and both on and off-field, they all have the highest respect for each other, as I am sure swimmers do too. And this is always evidenced in their behaviour as soon as a match is over. After the game in question, between the Wallabies and The Springboks this past weekend, Victor Matfield was one of the first to congratulate the winning team and it's always handshakes and hugs as the teams leave the field.

I am just super-surprised that an elite athlete would behave in this way, when Ms. Rice of all people would know that ragging on the loser - and in such an offensive manner - is not what sport's about.

There is such a thing as being a bad winner.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home