a The Transit Lounge: WWII Came to FNQ

Back in the Day: I had a quarter life crisis, headed to Osaka, Japan for the unknown–only to discover that a passport plane ride are not necessarily a ticket to escape. Some Years Later: Settled back in Oz, the man of my dreams ended up in Tokyo for work–which is how a passport and plane ride showed me home is where the heart is. And Now: Well as luck would have it, we are about to embark on Japan Mark 3, with a baby in tow and another on the way...

Sunday, October 3

WWII Came to FNQ

Clearly I have taken some time out as of late - and there is no better place to do that than in Port Douglas. Or Newell Beach, about 30 min north of Port Douglas, to be exact. Tropics, rainforest, desolate beach...who could ask for more? As I have said in other posts over the past years, FNQ is my most favourite place in world.

And as we all know, it's gateway, Cairns, is a top holiday destination for Japanese too. And the history of the Japanese in this part of the world goes way back. I mean, you've all heard of the bombing of the Douglas Shire right? Exactly.

I was extremely mystified to see a sign not so far from the house my family and I are staying in, giving directions to a "Bomb Site". Intrigued, I decided to pay it a visit. What would I find? A huge bombed out crater? Some scarred buildings and land? Not quite. Instead, I found a bomb sculpted out of stone, with an inscription.



I just wonder what the Japanese thought was up here that needed destroying - although if you told me "nature", I'd have to say you're probably right. I have seen first hand how the Japanese love to tame the wilderness. Eight bombs dropped and not one fatality - which is a great thing; however, it really demonstrates how sparsely populated it is up here and how no-one outside the area then (nor even now) really knows that much about FNQ.

And I am (selfishly) happy to keep it that way.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home